Monday, March 3, 2014

Baked a Cake

Baked a cake.....

March 3, 2014 at 9:49am
The all important day arrived yesterday... Yes it was my loving son's birthday.... This year we decided to celebrate his birthday later, the reason being his final exams were starting today.... To celebrate  it in a lighter tone we took him to the temple in the morning and then we decided to go out for lunch .... Assuming he can study from the afternoon we decided to do so.....Later in the day I found out anyways it would not have made any difference even if we had gone out in the evening because his preparation time for the exam takes just one hour with four breaks in between..... I wanted to be extra nice to him ... anyways once we sit to start studying we will have a world war 3...

I thought I will bake a cake for him to make him happy and feel special.... The first thing I did in the morning was to bake a cake. After baking it I left it to cool and went to the temple. After coming back from the temple I tilted the cake upside down on a plate and got a full cake without breaking it .... I was happy that it had come out in good shape .... I brought the cake to the table ... made it sit on a tray, got a candle and a knife ...To make it look more presentable I put a few M&Ms on the cake... To me it looked nice and I was praying that it should taste good too .Clicked  a few usual  pictures of the cake before it was dissected , then took a picture of him blowing the candle....Sang the birthday song with our hoarse voices ... then he cut the cake ... when he was cutting the cake I felt he was not able to slide  the knife through it but was trying to cut it through like he was cutting through a piece of meat.... My heart was going dhak dhak thinking how the cake was going to taste... more than the taste what all comments I am going to hear from my dear children.... Again we took a few pictures of feeding him with the cake...His mouth was stuffed with the cake ...Looked like he was finding a little difficult in chewing the cake...I thought I had stuffed a big piece into his mouth... After he tasted the cake I asked him how did the cake taste... His answer was the usual, "It's OK mama"... What do I understand from this??

Then my daughter tasted the cake .... The immediate reaction that came from her was ,"Mama If you had given it to me I would have baked a good cake, it tastes so bad." So according to her scale of measurment the cake got a zero.... There came my son to my rescue... He said, "Sruthi , how many recipe's have you tried making and tasting before you puked on your own creations?"  She gave him a  tigress look and said "That was one time Rishi that I felt like puking after I tried making that pudding". Somewhere down I felt that my son was by my side.... The dad said it tasted good.. I tasted it .. It was not so bad as Sruthi projected it to be... It tasted inbetween a bread and a cake.... Anyways I thought to make myself happy I would ask Rishi one more time... I didn't realize then that I was digging my own grave.... I asked him again "Rishi how did the cake taste?" I could have very well stopped with his double sided answer of "ITs ok Mama". But my over anxiety made me repeat the question ...... Rishi was too sweet a boy that he tried avoiding answering the question again but do you think I would leave ... No  , the mom instinct in me wanted to hear the right answer.... He said very quietly ,"Mama it is not that bad as Sruthi says, It just tastes kind of a little plasticky  and it is tasteless... thats all but I can eat it"... A tight slap on my cheeks right??? This was enough for me to come to a conclusion that I should always get Betty Crocker's readymade mix ,,, bake it and serve it and get the name "mama it was awesome"... Why did I take so much effort to try out new things on his birthday????

As an icing to the cake , when we went out for lunch my daughter asked,"Mama do you think we should get him a nice cake and make him cut it in the evening?" It was my turn to turn into a tigress.......grhhhhh..... then again Rishi came up with "It's ok Sruthi I dont want to do it again... anyways I will have a nice cake when I call my friends to celebrate my birthday party after my exam...right mom??"" By then I had decided that silence is the best answer at times.......

No comments:

Post a Comment